My Experience at Baking School

09:00:00

For what seemed like years after 15 months of an intense course here I am, on the adults world ready for my first job! I'm scared as sh*t but that's something for later.
The bakery world seems promising, good looking, tasty and overall amazing! It is, looking from the outside, but when you're involved in it 24/7 is not as great as it looks. To get to the level you want you need time to test out your capacities, to make your skills grow stronger. I initially had no idea about the majority of the Pastry terms, what it takes to bake a cake other than the usual homemade ones, the right amount of ingredients and the overall process of administrating a bakery. It's not sweet, oh it's not.

It was a good time when I learnt things that actually matter for my future as a baker but unfortunately most of it was not nice, it was useless.. Why do I need to know about a kind of bread that allows me to only build square pieces and takes hours to bake if it's not even good to eat? I much preferred to have 50 hours of decoration training.. but I had none to be honest. If I want to get better I have to do it at home, so why do I paid that much money for a course that encourages me to do things at home instead of in there? Bullsh*t right?! 

I don't want to take this much longer but I left feeling that as much as I learnt there I could have done it at home. My advise is, if you really love pastry and want to take a course search for the best school in your country, get informed about the whole program and balance the positive things with the useless stuff you'll learn. Make your decision. 

Do I regret my course? I don't, but if I knew what I know today I wouldn't have applied. I'm better baker, I gained skills I didn't think I needed and I can bake pretty much anything you ask me, something I wasn't sure before the course. But I was expecting something different, something that now only experience will give me... hopefully. 

What are your feelings towards pastry? Are you passionate about baking or eating cakes?

Thanks for reading,

You Might Also Like

4 comentários

Popular Posts